[c-nsp] spantree pvst and mst

Asbjorn Hojmark - Lists Lists at Hojmark.ORG
Mon Jan 16 15:01:45 EST 2006

> The original problem is that I have too many vlans for the
> 2950 and I run into spanning tree interface limit problems.
> For whatever reason vtp pruning is not doing it's job and I
> have yet to find anybody who can tell me why it's not working
> or with a answer on how to fix it.

VTP Pruning is probably working just fine. It's just not meant
to solve that particular problem. It'll only prune back flooding
for non-active VLANs, not stop the VLAN from being created.

See http://tinyurl.com/9rhf7

If you have too many VLANs for a 2950 to handle, simply don't
send it that many VLANs with VTP. Set the switch to transparent
mode instead.

> The solution for now is to change from pvst to mst on the
> 2950's but leave the 3750 on pvst.

If you want to change from pVST+ to MSTP, you'd better do it in
the whole L2 domain. It is possible to mix the two, but it can
get kind of tricky. If you do, keep the root inside the MSTP
region, not outside it.

See http://tinyurl.com/6dcsh and http://tinyurl.com/94o6w

-A