[c-nsp] what is a "Routed MAC" on a sup720

lee.e.rian at census.gov lee.e.rian at census.gov
Tue Jan 17 03:08:54 EST 2006

I think we're having a problem with unicast flooding on our SUP720s running
12.2(18)SXE4 even though the mac address aging time is set to 21600
seconds.  I was poking around on CCO & saw
 (Embedded image moved to file: pic17056.gif)CSCef72013 unicast flooding
due to purging of some mac-addres entry with dfc3/pfc3
which sounds about right...  we upgraded some core cat6500 switches from
SUP1A/MSFC1s to SUP720s with several DFC equipped line cards.

So can anybody explain exactly what is a "Routed MAC" and what, if any,
problems there might be with changing the aging time to 6 hours for regular
mac address entries & these "routed mac" entries?

We already have
 mac-address-table aging-time 21600
configured and I'm guessing that we also need
 mac-address-table aging-time 21600 routed-mac

Thanks,
Lee