[c-nsp] Re: Load balancing upload traffic

Kim Onnel karim.adel at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 05:16:39 EST 2006

Would like to add that our internet gateway is a 7609 with IOS 12.2(18)SXD

We receive the full routing-tableon one of them to give it to a customer, so
we changed its AD that its not installed in the routing table, but we give
it to one customer of ours.

Since we dont have much upload traffic, we had two default routes pointing
to two links.

Yesterday, one link failed, all upload traffic on that link were moved to
the other one, which was too much for it.

What are the methods of routing upload traffic to the other links in case
one fails? any new IOS features ?

One idea came to our mind, with no clue how feasible this is:

Two default routes pointint to fake IPs

0.0.0.0/0 -> 1.1.1.1
0.0.0.0/0 -> 1.1.1.2

Those fake IPs staticly routed to the two Interfaces

1.1.1.1 -> PoS1
1.1.1.2 -> PoS2

And Also routed to the Third interfaces

1.1.1.1 -> PoS3
1.1.1.2 -> PoS3

So that recursive routing would take place and traffic would move
accordingly if interface fails.