[c-nsp] static routes reappear after "clear ip route *"

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Jan 18 13:03:59 EST 2006

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 09:57:56AM -0800, Lachlan Andrew wrote:
> I'm managing a few 7609 routers, and am having trouble deleting static
> routes.
> The command
>      clear ip route *
> removes them, but within a few seconds they reappear spontaneously.
> An example is below, followed by the current configuration.

That's the way it is supposed to be.  "Clear ip route *" will remove
the routes from the active routing table, and re-fill it from all
sources of routing information (static, BGP, OSPF, ...).

It will not affect those sources - i.e., if you want to get rid of a
static route, deconfigure it from configure mode, with
   "no ip route ..."

- same command you used to get it there (if in doubt, check "show run"),
just prefixed with a "no".

As in nearly all cases when you want to un-configure something in IOS.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de