[c-nsp] Edge Router Advice

Jeff Kell jeff-kell at utc.edu
Wed Jan 18 13:04:19 EST 2006

Paul Stewart wrote:
> We may be in need of a new edge router in the near term... Currently we
> Looking for thoughts on Sup2/MSFC2 vs Sup720 vs small GSR vs 7206VXR for
> performance??
The 6500 Sup2/MSFC2[/PFC2] combination seems to be frozen at 12.1E (I'd
appreciate being corrected).  I've been expecting to get beyond that for
some time now, but here we sit.

We have a 6500 "border" that handles routing, BGP sessions,
ingress/egress ACLs, and a little shaping/policing.  Smaller routers
handle the edge connections, essentially media conversion/aggregation
(7200, 3600, 2620s)

You don't need a pile of horsepower if you're just routing.  Start
shaping, policing, policy routing, nbar, NAT, firewall, etc and yes,
you'll need horsepower.  You didn't specify what demands (other than
bandwidth) you are expecting to satisfy.

Jeff