[c-nsp] static routes reappear after "clear ip route *"

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Wed Jan 18 14:13:12 EST 2006

Lachlan Andrew wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I'm managing a few 7609 routers, and am having trouble deleting static
> routes.
> The command
>      clear ip route *
> removes them, but within a few seconds they reappear spontaneously.
> An example is below, followed by the current configuration.
>
> Should I use a different command, or is one of my settings wrong?

You should use a different command.  "clear ip route *" flushes the
routing table out of memory, but the router will immediately re-apply
any configured statics and quickly re-learn any dynamic routes.

 From global configuration mode, you will need to remove the static with
the "no" command.  For example, if there exists a static route of the form:
   ip route 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 1.2.3.4

you would enter in global config mode:
   no ip route 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 1.2.3.4

The route will be withdrawn immediately.  No need to issue a clear
command.  Don't forget to save your changes with a "write memory" when
finished.

Note:  This is pretty basic stuff.  You may want to avail yourself of
some of the Cisco network academy classes at your local community
college if offered.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Administration - jay at west.net
NetLojix Communications, Inc.  -  http://www.netlojix.com/
WestNet:  Connecting you to the planet.  805 884-6323