[c-nsp] pseudo standby - FWSM

szilard csordas redmond at freemail.hu
Fri Jan 20 05:41:30 EST 2006

Hello!

Because it is a productive network we had to fix it as fas as we could.
that is why i couldnt do the troubleshooting in a more detailled way.

but when i tried to switch on the failover on the standby unit, it sad:

FWSM(config)# failover
        Detected an Active mate

        Vlan configuration mismatch
        Failover will be disabled

FWSM# sh failover
Failover Off (pseudo-Standby)
Failover unit Secondary
Failover LAN Interface failoverlan Vlan x
Unit Poll frequency 500 milliseconds, holdtime 3 seconds
Interface Poll frequency 3 seconds
Interface Policy 1
Monitored Interfaces 18 of 250 maximum
failover replication http

the active unit was working properly. my problem is, if the standby
says: failover is off, then why does it answer  ARP requests and a
strange pseudo-Standby state?

i saw in a device's log connected to FSMS's inside interfce the following:

%FWSM-4-405001: Received ARP request collision from IP A/MAC X
%FWSM-4-405001: Received ARP request collision from IP A/MAC Y

MAC X is primary's mac
MAC Y is standby's mac

rgs,
szilard