[c-nsp] Cisco 7606 questions

Ventsislav Velkov veno at evrocom.net
Mon Jan 23 12:20:27 EST 2006

We are planning to invest in a Cisco 7606 router.
My questions are, will it serve ok for Core/Aggregation Router ? At the moment we are using Juniper M7is
and old 7513 which is going to be taken off in the next days, it looks like the juniper is not quite good alternative for core because of the big price per gig interface. At the moment the aggregation is ~2 gigabits/s but our predictions are showing it will reach ~10 gigs in the next 1-2 years.
Will the SUP32 with its 8 gigabit ports be good for this ? We are using only ethernet for the core and the needing feature are
OSPF, BGP, ACLs, Policy routing and in the future MPLS capabilities. As long as I am reading the data sheet for SUP32  there is no
support for most of the L3 features in the ios, regarding it has the hardware capabilities.
So generalized my questions are which of the following will suit the best for us:
1. 7606 with SUP32
or
2. 7606 with SUP720BXL + SIP400 + SPA-2x1GE or SIP600 + SPA-5x1G (this will cost a lot more)

The second will cost more than 3 times than the first option. Am I right that I can upgrade the SIP400 with 4 x SPA-2x1GE in the future ?

Thanks and regards,

Ventsislav Velkov
Network Engineer
Evrocom Networks Inc.