[c-nsp] Cisco core router (for smaller sized colocation provider) recomendations please

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Tue Jan 24 09:08:07 EST 2006

Robert E.Seastrom wrote:
> In Josh's case, particularly given his minimal routing scenario, I
> respectfully disagree.  One particular installation with which I'm
> acquainted has a pair of GSRs, original GRPs, two external BGP full
> views (and ibgp between the two GSRs), on the order of 200 routes in
> OSPF, and each box had over 50 megs free when running pre-ST-merge
> 12.0S, and today, running 12.0S-latest, still has about 35 megs free.
> Non-B (original) GRPs with 256m of memory.  "p" images.

Wow.  OK, note taken.

For reference, a GRP-B 512MB running 12.0(32)S (yeah, it's brand new;
outbound route-map continue is a definite benefit for us, but 12.0(31)S?
would crash in <1min if we tried to use it) with one external full view,
NO IBGP full views, ~150 OSPF routes, and ~1500 internal routes learned
via IBGP (i.e. this box sends all customer traffic to our customers, but
anything else goes to its EBGP neighbor):

edge1-ifmt#sh mem sum
                Head     Total(b)     Used(b)     Free(b)   Lowest(b)
Largest(b)
Processor   55F4D120   436940512   203947248   232993264   231676592
228914916

Yes, it's only 203M used, but that's out of a pot of 436M, and the free
is comfortably below 256MB.  I'm thinking 256MB wouldn't work in my
scenario.

My $0.02,

pt