[c-nsp] Bandwidth Point Calculation with NPE-G!

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Tue Jan 24 09:55:37 EST 2006

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006, Prit Patel wrote:

> I m getting messages in log and show version output for exceeding the
> bandwidth point for PCI Bus in my 7206VXR NPE-G1.
> I have used 2 no. of PA-2FE-TX  in both bay of router so its excedeeing the
> default BW point of 600.
>
> Will it make any diff in router's functionality ?

It depends :)  Not to be sarcastic, but it's the truth.  In general, I
think the router will function properly, but if you get into a situation
where you need support from Cisco, they may not provide it, or scold you
for using an unsupported configuration :)

That's not to say that Cisco won't consider disabling some router
interfaces on buses that exceed their BW point limit.  I think this very
topic came up for discussion on this mailing list a while back.

> is there any other way to reduce the BW points.

If you have room or can re-arrange your cards, put the two PA-FE-2TXs on
separate buses because the 600 point limit applies per bus in a VXR
chassis.  Slots 0 (the I/O controller slot), 1, 3, and 5 are on one PCI
bus and slots 2, 4, and 6 are on the other one.  For example, putting one
card in slot 1 and the other in slot 2 would split them up and give you a
utilization (not including whatever other cards you have installed) of 400
points per bus.

jms