[c-nsp] VIP4-80 throughput

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Tue Jan 24 10:26:27 EST 2006

Kristofer Sigurdsson wrote:

> I was wondering whether or not I could realistically expect full
> throughput out of putting four STM-1's in two VIP4-80 in the router,
> a.k.a. two PA-POS-OC3 in each VIP.
> No other interfaces would be in use, the box would just be routing
> between the four STM-1's.

Any other features?  MPLS, ACL, uRPF, etc.  This could have a major
impact on performance.  Do you have other routers upstream that
could/would deflect/absorb/melt DOS attacks?

> The RSP is RSP8, if that helps, we'd be taking two, possibly three,
> full BGP feeds, IOS 12.0S.  We have 256 MB of memory on the VIP's, if
> I recall correctly.

Your RSP RAM will get tight at times, but your fundamental limiting
factor will likely be PPS on the VIPs.  Worst case, put in two more VIPs
to spread the load.  But I'd guess that you'd be fine (assuming no
features) with the desired setup.  High-PPS DOS attacks could be
problematic though, but certainly better than a 7200.

pt