[c-nsp] Simple router recomendation

andrew2 at one.net andrew2 at one.net
Thu Jan 26 15:15:43 EST 2006

I'm looking for a router with four 10/100/1000 ethernet ports that can
support at least 512MB RAM, BGP, and can handle up to around 400-500Mbps
of mostly unidirectional traffic with nothing fancy -- CEF and some
basic ACL's.  No VLAN's, QoS, or anything special.  Basically it needs
to take full routes from a single provider (though eventually two) and
route bits over to a redundant pair of switches.

We typically deploy NPE-G1's in 72xx chassis' so that we can add
whatever linecards we need to handle circuits as needed, but in this
case all we need is Gig-E so I'm guessing a fixed configuration model
might be more cost-effective but I don't have any experience with any of
them so I'm not quite sure what I should be looking at.

Thanks!

Andrew