[c-nsp] Cisco 2811 and 6506+SUP32 - memory upgrade

Łukasz Bromirski lukasz at bromirski.net
Fri Jan 27 12:25:12 EST 2006

Gert Doering wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 26, 2006 at 10:03:42AM +0000, Kristofer Sigurdsson wrote:
>>> 2) Cisco 6506 + SUP32 (upgrade from 256M -> 512M or 1GB)
>> The SUP32 has PFC3B, which can take 512 MB and MSFC2A, which
>> can take 1 GB of memory.  Which of these do you want to upgrade?
> Which part of that memory is actually being used for what?
> I'm a bit confused here.
> Can I assume MSFC2A holds "IOS" and "all the routing protocol data",
> while the PFC3B only holds the FIB (aka CEF table)?

Maybe a little correction would help - both SP and RP have their own
memory sets, while PFC3B just holds TCAMs and ASICs (yes, there is FIB
TCAM onboard PFC3B but it's not upgradeable ;) ).

If You run native IOS, both SP and RP run the IOS image You select and
thus it's recommended to have memory equal for both SP and RP.

Maybe confusion was because DFCs (basically PFC on line cards) have
their own memory, but Sup32 doesn't support line cards with
distributed switching so DFCs are out of the question with Sup32.

--
this space was intentionally left blank    |            Łukasz Bromirski
you can insert your favourite quote here   |        lukasz:bromirski,net