[c-nsp] sup720 CoPP/ratelimiters

Saku Ytti saku+cisco-nsp at ytti.fi
Mon Jan 30 05:47:10 EST 2006

On (2006-01-30 09:02 +0000), Ian Dickinson wrote:

> I'm just embarking on some testing of control-plane policing and
> hardware rate-limiters on 7600 (with sup720-3bxl and 67xx modules
> with dfc3bxl).  I've deployed parts of this before with some
> success and I'm looking to tighten things up a level.  Target
> application is mostly BGP edge functionality.
>
> Does anyone have any war stories or best practice they'd be
> willing to share please?  I'm quite certain that I'm bound to
> have missed something along the way.

My main pains about CoPP:

1) no ARP (7600), CLNS matches supported
 -you can't CAR non matching traffic to 0bps, you'd kill your IS-IS

2) does not accept ACL that have log statement (by just ignoring the log)
 -you can't reuse your MGMT/NTP/SNMP ACL's in CoPP, but need to create
  duplicate ACL's without log statement

3) class-map 'match-all' is not supported from what I can tell. Makes
 it quite hard to have lean and mean configuration.
 match ip access-list MGMT
 match ip access-list MGMT_PROTOCOLS
 or:
 match ip access-list CORE_LINKS
 match ip access-list LDP
 or:
 now you just need to have single ACL's which has both addresses and
 protocols in one go

This is one area where CSCO has lot to learn from JNPR. I hope IOS-XR
has bit more flexible way of doing CoPP.

--
  ++ytti