[c-nsp] CE1 (balanced) Port adapter, controller goes DOWN frequently.

nishal goburdhan nishal at is.co.za
Tue Jan 31 05:48:25 EST 2006

On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 10:20:43AM -0000, Gangasagar Amula wrote:

> Hi all,

hi.

> In our location, we have 7206VXR (NPE-G1) router in which we have fixed "Channelized E1 (balanced) Port adapter, 8 ports card"
> But the above controller goes down every now and then and comes up only when router is rebooted !!
> Any explanation for such strange case.

we had these - is this a PA-MC-8TE1+ ?
there was a recall of quite a lot of these some time ago - could be that you have an affected card.
[note: the URL is no longer active, but i don't have an updated one.  maybe your account team can retrieve the affected serial numbers for you]

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/modules/ps2033/products_field_notice09186a00803935c8.shtml

To date, failures have been observed only in PA-MC-8TE1+ used in VIP processors in the 7513 chassis.  These
failures have been root caused to a manufacturing process that damaged a capacator on the mother board.
In some instances some boards may fail after time if vibration causes the micro cracking from the manufacturing
process to spread.The board must have a return materials authorizations (RMA) completed for rebuilding.
The process had been resolved and only the listed Serial Numbers are at risk.

--n.