[c-nsp] SNMP: cacti graphing of 6500 interfaces more accurately

Tristan Gulyas zardoz at hotblack.net
Tue Jan 31 22:22:23 EST 2006

All,

I've started to move a lot of our MRTG stuff over to our cacti-based
graphing system (www.cacti.net) and so far, so good - although I am
wondering how to get some better results out of the interface statistics.

Currently I am using a built-in cacti template for interface statistics
which I believe bases itself on a 5 minute average counter.  We have another
network monitoring system (Statseeker) which seems to give us substantially
clearer results (not only does it poll every minute bit it seems to show
traffic spikes more accurately).

Does anyone know where I can start looking for information?  Specifically,
if there are any SNMP variables or OIDs worth collecting and graphing
instead.

Thanks,
Tristan