[c-nsp] CoPP

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Sun Jul 2 20:58:42 EDT 2006

Couple CoPP questions...

Question #1, is there any possible way to do logging of the packets it
matches? I should be matching everything valid in other classes, but I'm
still getting traffic to the default class.

  Hardware Counters:

    class-map: class-default (match-any)
      Match: any
      police :
        512000 bps 32000 limit 32000 extended limit
      Earl in slot 2 :
        4753166 bytes
        5 minute offered rate 70920 bps
        aggregate-forwarded 4753166 bytes action: transmit
        exceeded 0 bytes action: drop
        aggregate-forward 68840 bps exceed 0 bps

  Software Counters:

    Class-map: class-default (match-any)
      157226 packets, 43003944 bytes
      5 minute offered rate 115000 bps, drop rate 0 bps
      Match: any
      police:
          cir 512000 bps, bc 32000 bytes, be 64000 bytes
        conformed 157248 packets, 43010388 bytes; action: transmit
        exceeded 0 packets, 0 bytes; action: drop
        violated 0 packets, 0 bytes; action: drop
        conformed 115000 bps, exceed 0 bps, violate 0 bps

So far the best solution I've come up with is to make my own default class
which references an acl, and then try every possible combination of packet
with that ACL to see what makes the counters increment. Is there ANY
mechanism to just log the damn match so I don't have to go that route? It
doesn't need to be rate limited or safe for production use, just for
figuring out if there are any legitimate packets hitting it so I can
revise CoPP policies.

Question #2, how are isis/clns packets handled with regard to CoPP? I
already tried matching them in a class-map, and it would not apply, but
I'm wondering if those packets might be making their way to the default
class. Also, does:

mls qos protocol ISIS pass-through

Impact the processing of CoPP in any way?