[c-nsp] (MPLS)MTU and Cat5k RSM

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Jul 4 03:46:34 EDT 2006

Hi,

On Tue, Jul 04, 2006 at 09:19:19AM +0200, Peter Salanki wrote:
> With CatOs 6.4, the 5k supports jumbo frames. The RSM itself on the
> other hand will never support jumbos (afaik).

So there is no way to transport full-sized IP frames (or even EoMPLS)
over MPLS on this platform?

> Just as a reminder, you  can't use MLS for MPLS.

We are not using MLS for IP either, due to its limitations regarding
access lists.

> I don't think this is the best platform for  you to deploy MPLS on.

It definitely isn't, but for the given needs ("EoMPLS bridging of
a LAN segment that's migrating to a different location, and maximum
bandwidth of about 10-20 Mbit/s on that LAN segment") its performance
capabilities would easily do the job - and the RSMs are already there,
so it's lots easier to deploy than getting a new router on-site.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de