[c-nsp] WIDS open-source

Yuri Lukin lists at swaggi.com
Thu Jul 6 14:27:46 EDT 2006

chindasvinto jones wrote ..
> hi,
> this may be an off-topic, but I'm interested in programming an WIDS
> system, free, cisco compatible.
>
> I'm looking for some documentation about cisco Aironet access-points'
> scanner mode, if cisco has released some info or it's necessary to do
> some reverse engineering and if it's legal.
>
> please give some advice
>
> best regards

I too have been thinking about working on a WIDS project, mainly
something to do with FreeBSD running on an embedded platform
such as soekris or wrap. Perhaps something modeled (not necessarily
copied) after Cisco's LWAPP implementation and AirDefense's
WIDS product. Location tracking would be nice to implement
as well.
Frank posted some good slides from shmoocon. Joshua Wright
also wrote some interesting papers a few years ago:

http://home.jwu.edu/jwright/papers.htm