[c-nsp] GRE tunnel problem

Wolfgang Roth Wolfgang.Roth at brave.de
Fri Jul 7 12:05:50 EDT 2006

Dear Bruce,

> Your tunnel has no IP addresses assigned.  It therefore is unable to
> forward IP packets.
>
> When the serial interfaces are down, how are you directing (routing)
> traffic over the tunnels without any valid nexthops?

like this:

ip route 2.3.4.5 255.255.255.255 Tunnel0 10
ip route 2.3.5.0 255.255.255.0 Tunnel0 10

If at least one serial link is up, OSPF is running between the routers.
Static routes like the two above are configured for the fallback case (i.e.
all serial links are down).

I thought assigning an IP address to tunnel endpoint is not mandatory and
primary for monitoring purpose (or routing purpose like you wrote). Maybe
this is my mistake here?

Wolfgang