[c-nsp] limiting bandwidth per flow over a T1?

Scott Granados sgranados at jeteye.com
Fri Jul 7 19:51:45 EDT 2006

I have what might be a simple question but I wasn't sure what
technology, if any would support what I want to do.

I have two routers, one 1720 with T1 wicc and one 2621 also with wicc. A
single T1 (standard ESF B8ZS all 24 channels) connects our offices to
our production environment at a local DC.  I have various users who pass
all sorts of traffic over this loop 2 and from mainly ssh and http.
Also, both routers aren't actually ip routing but are bridging.  My
question is, can I apply a rule to say the serial interfaces where any
one flow or session won't use up more than 1.2 megs of the t1 (just as a
for instance).  I'm having individual users who are file transfer happy
flooding this guy and showing the rest of us using ssh and or http over
the same loop no love what so ever.  I'd like to just keep things so
that big file transfers don't make the ssh sessions hang or lag quite so
much.  Ideas?

Suggestions, buy a T3 and heavier gear?:)

Any pointers would be appreciated, thanks!