[c-nsp] what type of firewall/ids

Mike Butash der.mikus at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 18:11:27 EDT 2006

Scott,

	Just out of curiosity, how do you leverage using CSA in your
environment?  I toyed with it a bit to adapt the stripped-down versions
that ship with call-manglers and various other voice-related win-servers
for applications it didn't explicitly know to allow, but it was not for
the faint of heart or for recreational dabbling.  The only other option
is to use VMS, which was an atrocious piece of software we quickly
abandoned all hope for, and CSA seemed to require very in depth
familiarity to modify without.  VMS didn't seem to really offer much to
boot for dealing with the nitty-gritty of system level process tracking
CSA does. There was little to no documentation on how to configure the
clients as such, little in the way of of a client api for easing the
pain, their xml configs weren't terribly intuitive by themselves, and
overall it seemed specifically tailored to an OEM integration partner
with *privileged* access to documentation the general paying population
would not receive.  When bugging my SE on the matter, he pretty much
confirmed it was meant for a partner integration ala IPCC only.  Do you
simply outsource to deemed CSA experts or do you take more of an
in-house development approach?  Because of the walled-garden approach
they seemed to take with usage of their product, we dismissed it as a
viable product without thrusting ourselves down a dark and foreboding
rabbit hole.

	If you use CSA widespread, I'd be interested in knowing what
methodology you use to maintain, modify, template, and develop new
models for server-types.  I find most windoze admins know little about
the inner workings and dependencies of application dll system calls and
file system permissions CSA relies explicitly on to make it truly
effective.  Typically because it is a Cisco product, my network team
ended up owning the products as such, and as a lowly network monkey,
it's hard for me to tell our systems groups how they should secure their
systems generally, glean how exactly they do so to begin with, nor do i
have time to debug system-level application interaction for them.  ;)

-mb