[c-nsp] counter funnies (a new one)

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Fri Jul 14 09:05:09 EDT 2006

Hi,

just saw an interesting observation... EoMPLS on a 7200, going toward
a FastE subinterface (on a PA-FE-TX).  No MTU issues, as the MPLS packets
are not passing the FE - the FE is configured like this:

interface FastEthernet1/0.30
 description MPLS bridged to XXX:fa0/0.30 (sp1)
 encapsulation dot1Q 30
 mpls l2transport route 194.97.XX.YY 30

- off-the-shelf EoMPLS.

Now for the interesting part... the interface(s) are sending and receiving
LOTS of traffic, but all SNMP counters for incoming packets and bytes
on the fa1/0.30 are just plain 0.  Nothing, neither on 32 or 64 bit counters.

*Outgoing* packets (coming in via MPLS, and being sent to fa1/0.30) are
counted just fine.

IOS is 12.2(18)S12 (because I distrust 25S and 28SB).

Does someone know whether this is a known bug in 12.2S?  And whether it's
fixed in SB?

For reference, the remote end of one of the EoMPLS circuits goes to a
Sup720/12.2(18)SXF4, and on *that* subinterface, I get proper input and
output byte counters - both 32 and 64 bit counters.

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de