[c-nsp] Cisco CRS-1

Saku Ytti saku+cisco-nsp at ytti.fi
Sat Jul 15 02:42:58 EDT 2006

On (2006-07-15 00:56 +0200), Niels Bakker wrote:
> * ras at e-gerbil.net (Richard A Steenbergen) [Fri 14 Jul 2006, 18:42 CEST]:
> >On Fri, Jul 14, 2006 at 09:23:03AM -0400, Justin M. Streiner wrote:
> >>The last time I saw the CRS-1 in action, the one limitation I saw was
> >>that I believe the bandwidth between the linecards and the backplane
> >>was 40 Gb/s, so that may be a limitation if you're looking for a
> >>high-density 10GE solution.
> >As opposed to all of those other routers and switches out there which do
> >more than 40Gbps per slot today?
>
> Real bits or Cisco marketing numbers?

Full duplex 40Gbps. It's amazing that when csco says eg. SUP720 it's
cisco marketing numbers, when jnpr says M320, it's ok :)

But I agree with original poster, 40Gbps does not impress me in
CRS-1, given that cisco is drumming +10year life time for it, which
would justify the capex. But in <5 years I see myself using 100GE,
and today I'm singing upgrade often, upgrade cheap song, rather than
upgrade rare, upgrade 'good'.
Undoubtfully CRS-1 will have 100Gbps per slot in future and more,
just like GSR's 2.5Gbps per slot wasn't the final say, but thats
rather major overhaul when you need to do that, and benefits from
existing CRS-1 investments versus buying all-new CRS's at that time
are questionable when looking how much good 12016+E0+E1+E2+GRP
does to you, if you're looking to shop brand spanking new
12416,12816 with SIP's and PRP's. You have chassis there that
you might re-use, thats just about it :/.

--
  ++ytti