[c-nsp] Transporting TDM voice DS3s over Ethernet

Chad Whitten cwhitten at nexband.com
Sat Jul 15 10:05:26 EDT 2006

Two DS3's worth of TDM isnt something that is going to convert easily to
ethernet - espcially 100 megabit.  Adtran has just released a product that
does TDM over ethernet (gigabit) on the scale you are describing.  DS1 &
DS0 over ethernet is possible and there are lots of vendors of equipment
that can do those, but DS3 is another matter.  Calix also produces a box
that can do DS3 but currently requires ATM.  It is in their roadmap to
move to ethernet transport as well.

The adtran product is the TA5000
http://www.adtran.com/adtranpx/Rooms/DisplayPages/LayoutInitial?Container=com.webridge.entity.Entity%5BOID%5B41313C00005AC7498C423FEDD1A3119A%5D%5D

you would need two of these devices, one at each end and they are not cheap.

also, the calix would be similar
http://www.calix.com/products/c-series/

Clayton Zekelman said:

> I would think you're going to need to convert the TDM signals into
> packets to move across the Ethernet.
>
> This would mean DSP CODEC's of some sort.  What you're really trying to
> do is transport 1344 DS0's worth of traffic.
>
> This can get expensive - its basically large scale VoIP.

Chad Whitten