[c-nsp] Transporting TDM voice DS3s over Ethernet

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Mon Jul 24 05:48:53 EDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mikael Abrahamsson" <swmike at swm.pp.se>
To: <cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net>
Sent: Sunday, July 23, 2006 4:15 PM
Subject: Re: [c-nsp] Transporting TDM voice DS3s over Ethernet

> On Sun, 23 Jul 2006, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>
> > The co-lo cabinet provider won't run 2 length's of 75 ohm coax for the
> > DS3's from the basement of their building where the IX is, to the 3rd
> > floor where the colo is, correct?  But they will run lengths of
> > Ethernet?
>
> Well, if I'd venture to speculate I'd say they'd probably be provisioning
> a vlan on existing gig or 10gig infrastructure, which is a logical
> configuration, ie no new cabling between floors.

Hey, that sounds like a great new excuse I can use on our customers
that ask us to do something, right up there with "We can't fix it because
the problems in your equipment"
.
.
.
NOT

You must work for a telco.  Nobody who has to deal with real customers
in a real competitive environment could possibly believe that's a legitimate
reason.

What it boils down to is real simple.  Either the colocate cabinet owner
wants
the business or they don't.  If they don't, there is -always- someone else
out
in the city that has the space and is more than happy to lease it out.

Ted