[c-nsp] BGP prepend problems

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Tue Jul 25 20:27:44 EDT 2006

Scott Granados wrote:
> Could be any number of things but most likely local pref.
>

> Remember that some other metrics take priority so for example, if that
> carrier is adjusting the pref of the routes that it learns which
> includes yours, prepends won't make a difference as I understand it.
> Local pref is considered before prepends.

Yep.  Most networks prefer customer routes (get $$$) over peer routes
(no exchange of $$$) over transit routes (pay $$$).  Simple math, really.

Ask your provider what community(ies) you can apply to your routes to
get peer-level local pref.  Oh, and hope they don't make you go below
peer-level local pref just to not be above it.

pt