[c-nsp] Esoteric NAT question...

Brett Looney brett at looney.id.au
Wed Jul 26 02:33:07 EDT 2006

Greets,

Traditionally, when I do NAT I do it this way:

	ip access-list extended NAT-Networks
	  permit ip <source> <destination>
	ip nat inside source list NAT-Networks interface <external interface> overload

But, I can also do this:

	ip access-list extended NAT-Networks
	  permit ip <source> <destination>
	route-map DoNAT permit 10
	  match ip address NAT-Networks
	ip nat inside source route-map DoNAT interface <external interface> overload

Intuition tells me that method #2 would be the less efficient way of
doing this. (Yes, I realise I can get lots more flexibility out of a
route map but assuming I didn't need that...)

But, is there any real proof that one is better than the other? Silly
question, I know, but I thought I'd ask - it would help use argue it
out internally. ;-)

TIA

B.