[c-nsp] CSCdy80039 : Does anyone know what fill_mbuf_ids_que is? WCCP Issues?

Wed Jul 26 08:50:17 EDT 2006

Hi,

We believe we may have just hit CSCdy80039 on one of our Cisco 6500s (Hybid
WS-X6K-SUP2-2GE / WS-F6K-MSFC2) running Cat OS 6.3(5) / IOS 12.1(8b)E9.

Bug ID is very spartan, just says:

"Under certain circumstances, a Catalyst 6000 switch may crash due to
fill_mbuf_ids_que

Workaround:

Upgrade to 6.4(1) or 7.5(1) or greater"

Does anybody know what the fill_mbuf_ids_que is?

Some background:

The switch has two ContentEngines attached that it does WCCP to. One of the
CE's stopped working. The config on the CE was changed to remove it from
WCCP participation, and then the CE was rebooted, and then configed to
participate in WCCP.

WCCP worked correctly for about half an hour.

Then WCCP completely stopped working. Traffic that was meant to get
redirected appeared to get dropped. The potentially dodgy CE was then
configured once more to not participate in WCCP which made no difference.

Half an hour after this the switch rebooted itself.  After this WCCP started
working correctly.

The only possible bug-id match is the one above. Currently WCCP is only
configured to use the one CE which is quite stressed. We are unsure whether
adding back the other CE will cause this problem to reoccur.

There is another identical 6500 that also has an identical WCCP config to
the same two CEs. We don't have good diagnostics from this switch during the
trouble periods, but it appeared to experience identical WCCP issues at the
same time.

Does anyone know what's going on or where we should start looking? Our Cisco
Partner is just telling us to upgrade because of the BugId match but we'd
really like to have a more through understanding of what's happening.

Thanks,

Sam