[c-nsp] Network Upgrade

Saku Ytti saku+cisco-nsp at ytti.fi
Thu Jun 1 05:18:16 EDT 2006

On (2006-06-01 10:57 +0200), Simon Leinen wrote:

> That's wasn't your question, but I wonder why you want to offload BGP
> onto a GSR.  GSR doesn't do BGP any better than OSR, oops sorry
> Cat6500, and even though I realize that GSRs can be gotten cheap, it's
> still an additional box with all kinds of costs - just think about the
> power consumption.  But I digress.

Thats not entirely true, GSR supports today CEF loadinfo structures
which are important if you want to get convergence time to the minimum, GSR
also supports next-hop tracking plus few other smaller BGP enhacements
not yet in 7600.
 Of course these differences are bound to balance out and probably
eventually even 7600 will exceed GSR's featureset. But from most
users point of view you're correct, they do BGP just the same.

--
  ++ytti