[c-nsp] Slow IOS transfers on 2811

John Neiberger jneiberger at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 10:38:37 EDT 2006

I've got a brand new 2811 under my desk running 12.4(7) and I'm trying
to load 12.4(8) onto it. It has 64 MB of ATA compact flash. I'm
noticing that file transfers to the router are REALLY slow, and the
TFTP server is on the same LAN as the router. I've tried FTP and I
also tried a different TFTP server (my own PC) and I get the same
result: painfully slow file transfers. I'd grow a beard in the time it
takes to transfer an IOS image this big, when it should only take a
few moments on a LAN.

The FastEthernet interface is autonegotiating to 100/full. I have no
reason to suspect a connectivity problem because the router and my PC
are connected to the same little switch under my desk and my PC has no
problems at all.

The router is running a blank config except for the IP address on the
FastEthernet interface. The CPU is idling at 0%, of course, because it
isn't doing anything.

I have no idea where to begin troubleshooting this. Is there something
on a router that could potentially cause file transfers to go this
slow? What should I be looking at?

Thanks,
John