[c-nsp] 6509/SUP32 as DC access-router

Robert Hass robhass at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 14:54:45 EDT 2006

Hi

Currently we're using four Junipers M7i at our Data Center edge to
terminate customers. Both routers are equiped with 1xGE IQ PIC
connected to 3xCatalyst 3750 access switches stack, and 2xGE to the
core M160s.

Unfortunately traffic on GE IQ PICs is about 700Mb/s, and incrassing
50-100Mb/s each month. Adding addional PICs is not cost effective and
unscalable (we need to buy addional routers).

We're thinking about migration to 3 Catalysts 6506 with Supervisor32.
Each 6500 will be connected via 3xGE EtherChannel to core M160.
Customers will be connected via GE ports at Supervisor, GE ports at
WS-X6408A-GBIC and WS-X6148A-GE-TX= line cards.

On each 6509 we expecting about 60-120 customers, 50% connected
directly to 6500 configured as 'no switchport', and 50% connected via
existing Catalyst 3750 stacks and configured at SVI.

How about shaping and policing these customers ? Will 6500 eg. 4 queues
per vlan / or per port at linecard ? (like our IQ cards at Junipers)

Are old linecards like WS-X6148-RJ45 or WS-X6408-GBIC supported on
6509/SUP32 ? We have few of them from our old 6500/SUP1A.

What about potential upgrade Supervisor32+PFC3B to PFC3BXL/PFC3CXL in
future ? If it will be possible ? Few Cisco documents are saying that
this upgrade will be possible, few are saying that this configuration
is unsupported. My question is regarding that we're providing BGP-feed
to few customers at our DC.

Thanks for help
Robert