[c-nsp] Console Servers - Recommendations?

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Mon Jun 5 18:39:00 EDT 2006

Stu Packett wrote:
> I'm looking to purchase a console server (aka terminal or access server)
> for my lab to prevent having to run 7 console cables from the rack to my
> desk.  I'd prefer a unit that does not require cable adapters as I would
> like to use a straight-through RJ45 cable from the console server to the
> Cisco devices.  Can anyone recommend something that might fit my needs?

The Cisco AS2511-RJ is what you're looking for.  Discontinued but they
turn up from time to time on EBay and at refurb equipment vendors.

Note that you will want rolled cables, not straight-through, such as
the old-school Cisco console cables.  The new ones have a molded DB-9
on one end.

A lower cost alternative is a Livingston/Lucent Portmaster 2, but it
has DB-25 connectors.  Hoods to convert to RJ-45 are available for a
buck or two.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Administration - jay at west.net
NetLojix Communications, Inc.  -  http://www.netlojix.com/
WestNet:  Connecting you to the planet.  805 884-6323