[c-nsp] ATM cards and SAR limits

Denny Reiter denny at reiters.org
Wed Jun 7 12:41:37 EDT 2006

We're looking at replacing some PA-A3-OC3 cards with the A6 models
so we can go past 4095 VCs.  It looks like the number of simultaneous
SAR operations has been increased from 1024 to 2000 for the A6 to
make up for the doubled number of VCs allowed.

In reality how well does a card with the max number of VCs work?
I noticed if I do a "sho atm pvc 31/101" that there's a counter for
SAR timeouts.  Would that show me if we had maxed out?  It's per
VC and checking several, they all seem to be zero.  Am I looking
in the right place, or is there a way to tell if I'm overworking
th card?  Anybody else hit or noticed a limit?  We use them for
ADSL termination configured as route-bridged, with a sprinkling of
PPPoE.

Thanks,

Denny Reiter

Denny Reiter                                  denny at reiters.org
            The dark ages were caused by the Y1K problem.