[c-nsp] VLAN Trunking from Netgear GS748T to Catalyst 1924EN

Skeeve Stevens skeeve at skeeve.org
Wed Jun 7 21:10:43 EDT 2006

Hey guys,

	I can imagine you reading the subject line and going "huh? What? Is
he serious?!", but unfortunately we are slowly migrating a network and need
to do this.

	We are putting Netgear GS748Ts on the edge of the network and slowly
working our way into the core. so at present we have a need of having VLAN's
on the above NetGear model going into a Trunk port on a 1924.

	The 1924 seems fine and the port is in trunk mode 'trunk on', which
I am pretty sure is all you need.

	Apparently the people who designed the netgears smoke crack and
they've called 'Trunking' something we call Ether Channelling (combining
more than 1 physical link into a large virtual link) in the Cisco world.
took me a week to figure that out.

	The NetGear supports tagged and untagged VLAN's, but I can't figure
out how to make them flow down to the 1924EN's.

	Has anyone tried to get these working before? And has any result
worth mentioning?

.Skeeve

Skeeve Stevens, RHCE     Email: skeeve at skeeve.org
Website: www.skeeve.org  - Telephone: (0414) 753 383
Address: P.O Box 1035, Epping, NSW, 1710, Australia

eIntellego - skeeve at eintellego.net - www.eintellego.net