[c-nsp] 802.3x Pause frames from a 7206VXR NPE-G1 GigE port?

Tassos Chatzithomaoglou achatz at forthnet.gr
Thu Jun 8 12:14:35 EDT 2006

Hi Aaron,

According to an old case i had with tac, although the pause frames are sent and recieved properly,
the counters are not incremented. The development teams suggested that it could be a "Hardware
limitation of the chipset and that it can't be fixed in software".

Also here are some comments from tac:

====================================
If you observe the sh int from the 7200 for flowcontrol, it is shown as XON thought you turned it
off. This is a cosmetic bug that is internally viewable. It will not affect the performance of the
gig port in any way. The details are below-

Bug ID:
CSCed05821 [Internally found moderate defect: Verified (V)]
Headline: No negotiation auto does not disable flow-control
Verified Comments:  This bug is verified with the 12.3(7.11.1) image and later releases.
The "negotiation auto" and "no negotiation auto" CLIs are unsupported starting this image release.
It is proved that these CLIs won't impact the flow control setup anymore.

Since you are using 12.3(17a) in the 7200 Router, then the flow control in this version is always
"on" by default. Please note that this bug is only cosmetic and will not hamper the performance of
the GE interface. Therefore, no action is really required.

Finally, the following link has more details:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1829/products_feature_guide09186a0080086fac.html#29381

To be honest, even myself (!) hasn't fully understood what actually is going on :)

--
Tassos