[c-nsp] PPPo??

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Thu Jun 8 12:18:28 EDT 2006

Dallas Helquist <> wrote on Thursday, June 08, 2006 6:09 PM:

> I have a few sites that have public internet connections (cable, dsl)
> with whatever local ISP was convenient at the time.  I would like to
> find a way to have them tunnel back into corporate, with the following
> requirements:
>
> Ability to see the site when I type "who" on the router
> Ability to authenticate site via radius
>
> I was hoping there was a simple way to make a ppp connection over IP,
> ebabling me to use some of the same equipment that currently
> aggregates dsl/l2tp etc.
>
> So far I am turning up a blank!  If all else fails, I'll go with the
> usual ipsec tunnel.  Any pointers?  Current equipment is a mix of VXR
> and 18xx.

You could investigate client-initiated L2TP tunneling
(http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5207/products_feature
_guide09186a00801a7592.html), i.e. build an L2TP tunnel from your remote
site to a central location.

Another option for PPPoX-connected clients would be to ask your ISP to
forward the sessions to you via L2TP, but not sure how many SPs would do
this unless you'll act as a wholesaler..

IPSec is certainly the most secure and access-agnostic technology..

	oli