[c-nsp] L2TP tunnel for BGP peering

Robert E.Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Tue Jun 13 19:04:36 EDT 2006

Kanagaraj Krishna <kanagaraj at aims.com.my> writes:

> Hi,
>     Due to cost issues tied to direct IPLC, we are thinking of running

you mean international private leased circuits?

> BGP sessions with upstream providers through L2TP tunnels. It would be
> very helpful,  if anyone in the group share advises on the pros and
> cons of this setup. A few other doubts are:

this sounds dodgy to me and like a bad plan, but read on...

> - We have concerns on the stability of the virtual link like quality
> drop etc. Are there any mechanism to improve this as drop of  tunnel
> would cause BGP flapping/dampening ?
> - What would be the overhead on the bandwidth throughtput?

what problem exactly are you trying to solve here?  you have to get
bandwidth from somewhere...  is the problem that you can't get frame
relay or other appropriate technology via vsat or terrestrial circuit
at a reasonable price?

                                        ---rob