[c-nsp] Strange GEIP+ Error on 7507

Brian McMahon brmcmaho at cabrillo.edu
Sat Jun 24 23:38:50 EDT 2006

On Jun 24, 2006, at 12:07, Carlos Sean Kamtha wrote:

> %VIP4-80 RM7000-3-MSG: slot6 VIP-3-PROCMEM_ECC_SINGLEBIT_ERROR:
> Processor memory ECC single-bit exception addr = 40038000 data =
> 00B00000
>
> I have since did some digging and talked to cisco and all points to
> an issue with the card, so
> now I have a new GEIP+ inserted, but I still have the same problem.

But are you sure it's the GEIP+ and not the VIP?  Looks to me like
the message is from the VIP -- and it's talking about processor
memory ECC, which is discussed here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps2643/
products_tech_note09186a0080094b15.shtml#parityerrors

(Scroll down a bit to get to the ECC stuff.)

For that matter, are you sure things are broken at all?  ECC memory
is supposed to handle single-bit errors just fine.  Maybe it's just a
diagnostic message that used to be suppressed (or not triggered)?
(If something else happens that you haven't mentioned, like the whole
box reloads every time this message appears, well then never mind. ;-)

How often do you see this message, anyway?

--
Brian McMahon <brian dot mcmahon at cabrillo dot edu>
Computer Networking and System Administration Instructor