[c-nsp] Virtual Router or maybe VRF

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Mon Jun 26 16:41:54 EDT 2006

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 12:36:16PM -0700, Joseph Jackson wrote:
> 	I am wanting to use one router (7206 NPE-G1) to provide routing
> for two seprate networks that should not have any communication with
> each other.   I was wondering what the best way to do this would be.  I
> have been looking on cisco.com for info about  VRF but it seems to be
> mostly about MPLS.   Any leads would be helpful.

VRFs is what you want.  Basically, using VRFs separates the router into
"logical sub-routers" - like VLANs do with switches on L2, but on L3.

MPLS *can* then be used to connect the same VRF on different routers
over "any transport in between", but it's not necessarily tied together.

(We've been using MPLS without VRF, for AToM, and VRFs without MPLS,
because the routers in question didn't do VRFs - so we used IP tunnels
to tie together the routers).

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de