[c-nsp] tag-switching mtu question

Ian Dickinson iand at eng.pipex.net
Tue Jun 27 06:58:03 EDT 2006

Saku Ytti wrote:
> On (2006-06-26 17:09 +0100), David Freedman wrote:
>>a. Allow per-subinterface MTU for the purpose of PW setup (even if its
>>meaningless elsewhere)
>>
>>or
>>
>>b. Allow override of the RFC4447 MTU checking as per l2tpv3 PW setup
>
>  I opened bug CSCeh27672 in 2005-02-05, which was lucky enough to
> be accepted as bug, not PERS.
>  The 'EoMPLS MTU' is really just sub-TLV in LDP, so in my mind
> sensible way might be to have configurable MTU under xconnect.

Absolutely - and this would suit my needs perfectly, where the physical MTU is
large enough to cover 'all' eventualities, I'd like to still be able to signal
a smaller MTU to the far end (which might only be 1500 capable).  It's up to
me to ensure that the actual offered frames fit within the signaled MTU.

It would be nice if the subint MTU could be configured to a value smaller than
the physical MTU though, as I then wouldn't have to independently set 'ip
mtu', 'mpls mtu' *and* 'clns mtu' per-vlan, but that's really a separate issue....
--
Ian Dickinson
Development Engineer
ian.dickinson at pipex.net