[c-nsp] Cisco 7301 running at 99% CPU doing iBGP update

jamie baddeley jamie.baddeley at fx.net.nz
Tue Jun 27 08:54:16 EDT 2006

Hi,

I've got a 7301 EBGP peered with International Transit, receiving the
global table. It seems to recieve the updates OK, and after about 3
minutes or so, is carrying the full table happily.

However, when I send that table onwards to an iBGP peer (another 7301),
things get awful. CPU maxes out on both the eBGP peered router. Almost
all of that is running the BGP process. 35 minutes later, and I'm only
144K pfxs recieved on the iBGP peer. Both are equipped with a gig of
memory.

I'm somewhat surprised by this. Should I be? I've tried other platforms,
and my trusty old 7206VXR had no problems sending the global table
onwards to an iBGP peer.

Running c7301-p-mz.124-8.bin

cheers

jamie