[c-nsp] 12.2.18-SXF4

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Fri Jun 30 03:05:45 EDT 2006

On Fri, Jun 30, 2006 at 09:47:28AM +0300, Hank Nussbacher wrote:
> > There is a split in the IOS releases for 6500 and 7600 (because their
> > target markets are different).The 6500 platform will continue on the
> > 12.2SX train (with modular IOS / ION), and the 7600 will use the new
> > 12.2SR train (first release: 12.2(33)SRA).
>
> I know all that.  It still doesn't answer my question.  Additional
> question along the same train (sorry for the pun), "why isn't 12.2(33)SRA
> modular?

If I had to go out on a limb and guess, I would say it is because service
provider actually want to use those pesky "features" (v6, mpls, etc) that
make the modular version a deal killer.

Besides, picking one version (like say the modular code base) and
developing it until it is actually good and useful makes too much sense.
Better to develop a bazillion different trains, each with a portion of the
things that you want but none with the complete picture, and let the
different business units controlling those trains fight amongst themselves
in a holy war of empire building. It's the Cisco way. :)