[c-nsp] 12.2.18-SXF4

Asbjorn Hojmark - Lists lists at hojmark.org
Fri Jun 30 16:05:03 EDT 2006

>> Additional question along the same train (sorry for the pun),
>> "why isn't 12.2(33)SRA modular?

The reason I've been given is very simple: They asked a lot of
their big SP customers if they weren't enormously exited about
ION and got ... indifference at best.

Instead those big SP customers listed tons of features that
they really, truly wanted.

You can say a lot about Cisco, but it really is a customer- (or
maybe market-) driven company: If enough customers ask for a
specific feature, that's what they'll use their resources on.
That, in my opinion, is a Good Thing(TM).

> Besides, picking one version (like say the modular code base)
> and developing it until it is actually good and useful makes
> too much sense.

People, including people at Cisco, actually thought it would make
a lot of sense. It *sounds* good. In practice, the marriage of S
and E was a nightmare of two groups of customers complaining that
Cisco was using their development resources on the wrong features

-A