[c-nsp] Hot swap into 3550's GBIC

Ian Dickinson iand at eng.pipex.net
Wed Mar 1 11:39:29 EST 2006

Tom Sands wrote:
> Yup,  I haven't found any device that won't allow the hot swapping of a
> GBIC or SFP module, and I have done it on 2950, 2970, 3500, 3550, 3560,
> 3750, and 6500

I haven't found a Cisco switch that had difficulty yet when the GBICs
are of the same type.

However, I've had some fun when changing type of GBIC, eg SX -> LX

One 3508XL needed a reboot - I don't know if this is universal though.

NPE-G1 needed conf t to change the media-type to rj-45 and back to gbic
before recognising the change in GBIC properly.
--
Ian Dickinson
Development Engineer
ian.dickinson at pipex.net