[c-nsp] Memory required in 7206 VXR NPE-G1 for several BGP tables

Rick Kunkel kunkel at w-link.net
Wed Mar 1 14:40:08 EST 2006

Heya all,

We're looking into purchasing a router similar to the one we already have
in another location, but it's been a few years since then, so I wanted to
re-research this a little.

First off, this 7206 will most likely have the NPE-G1 processing stuff in
it.  I think it will likely be connected to 3 different IP providers, all
of whom I'll be receiving full BGP routing tables from.  There is a also a
possibility of a 4th provider down the road.

The questions...

1.  Is the 7206 VXR NPE-G1 a good choice for this?

2.  How much memory is required to get 3 or 4 copies of the full routing
tables and still have other memory left for your basic operation?

Any input, criticism, or flames gladly accepted.  ;)

Thanks!

Rick Kunkel