[c-nsp] HDLC or PPP for layer 2 encapsulation?

Larry Smith lesmith at ecsis.net
Thu Mar 2 14:01:24 EST 2006

On Thursday 02 March 2006 12:39, Robert Boyle wrote:
> At 01:21 PM 3/2/2006, you wrote:
> >Hmmm, I was under the impression that pretty much all Netbios
> > communication was done as broadcast packets (ports 137, 138, 139, and now
> > 450 to the .255 network address) and that broadcast packets are not
> > transferred across routers.   A wins server takes care of all this, but
> > natively I do not believe that you will "see" the other network in
> > standard Windows Network without a wins server or something running
> > running that does this function???
>
> NETBEUI wouldn't work over a WAN unless traffic was encapsulated or
> bridged. NBT or Netbios over TCP/IP will work fine with Windows NT
> with a WINS server or Windows 2000/2003 with just active directory
> integrated DNS. WINS is not needed for Windows XP/2000/2003 networks.
> We also use PPP for everything for the same reasons others have
> mentioned. We can put any router in place and never need to
> reconfigure the other side

Yes, but you are essentially repeating what I said:

<quote>
> > without a wins server or something running
> > running that does this function
</quote>

but that still does not address the original statement:

<quote>
As for the NetBIOS stuff as long as you have IP connectivity between the
too sites you won't have any issues With the communication of them.
</quote>

which may be "correct" in a Microsoft world, but is not technically correct.
IP connectivity does not quarantee NetBios (or any other protocol) to work.

--
Larry Smith
SysAd ECSIS.NET
sysad at ecsis.net