[c-nsp] PPPoE -> VRF Virtual Templates

Robert E.Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Fri Mar 3 08:40:13 EST 2006

"Kristofer Sigurdsson" <kristosig at gmail.com> writes:

>> Check out: http://www.open.com.au/archives/radiator/2005-10/msg00150.html
>
> Is anyone doing this with FreeRADIUS?  Paying thousands of dollars for
> a RADIUS server is pretty steep...

Radiator is very very nice (I've worked for a couple of places that
have had site licenses).

That said, the appropriate application of Radiator is where you're
talking to databases on the back end or doing complex rewriting.
Per-realm proxying is not high art and any Radius server capable of
proxying at all ought to be able to do the trick.

I'll also point out that we've made Radiator unhappy before - after a
(planned) power outage in a particular facility that holds a DSL
headend, everyone piling back on at once filled our logs with
complaints about timeouts in the pop's proxies.  Dunno if it would
have happened with something like FreeRADIUS, but we *were* at 100%
cpu for about 15 minutes (Radiator recovered on its own).  I wanted to
repeat the experiment with another Radius as our proxy, but my help
desk manager nixed the idea.  :)

                                        ---Rob