[c-nsp] Sup720 + EoMPLS type interworking

Tim Winders twinders at southplainscollege.edu
Fri Mar 3 18:58:22 EST 2006

On Fri, 3 Mar 2006, Ian Cox wrote:

> At 05:28 PM 3/3/2006 -0600, Tim Winders wrote:
>> I haven't paid attention to MPLS technology as I didn't believe it would
>> affect me, however, looking at this scenario, I may be wrong.
>>
>> Can one run a private MPLS network?  Specifically, I have this situation:
>>
>> Sup720 -> GigE over Telco network -> Sup720
>>
>> The carrier's equipment does not allow me to natively trunk between the
>> networks, so I am routing.  Could I run MPLS between the two sites and pass
>> my dot1Q vlans across the network?
>
> So long as you can run jumbo frames over the Telco network you can do this.
> If you can not run jumbo then it will be painful because of MTU issues, you
> can do it without jumbos but your maximum ethernet frame will be smaller than
> normal. The Supervisors need to be Sup720 3b/or 3bXL to support this.

Ugh.  OK, thanks.  The Sups are 3a and the telco network is not configured
for jumbo frames.  If I could get them to change to jumbo frames, I'm sure
I could get them to change so I could natively trunk.  I'll work on the
people with the telco and see what I can get them to do.

Thanks.

--

Tim Winders
Associate Dean of Information Technology