[c-nsp] recommended platform between Catalyst 3750 and 6500?

Andrew andrew.cnsp at gmail.com
Sun Mar 12 14:37:28 EST 2006

On 3/12/06, sthaug at nethelp.no <sthaug at nethelp.no> wrote:
> This requirement alone means that there *is* nothing (on the "switch"
> side) between 3750 and 6500. To handle full feeds you need a 6500,
> it's as simple as that.

Hm, bummer, but okay.  Which supervisor engine would allow me to
retain the same "performance" as my 3750 (in terms of Layer 3 pps and
bitrates)?  The 3750 doesn't really list specs for how well it can
forward stuff at L3, so I assume it's all line rate.  Am I going to be
taking a performance hit by going to the 6500?

It looks like the Sup1A doesn't have CEF, so that's definitely going
to be slower.  The Sup720 is way more than I need (and also outside of
my price range).  That leaves the Sup2 and Sup32 (and it's associated
addons/modules).

Is there anything I should keep in mind when choosing between the Sup2
and Sup32?  Also, what modules (as in MSFCn/PFCn/etc.) should I be
looking at?  (Needless to say, this is my first foray into modular
Cisco stuff...)  Am I going to be comfortable at 512MB of RAM, or is
1GB really the minimum nowadays for doing 2-3 full feeds?  Thanks.

Thanks.